History

Cucina
Cucina first opened its doors in 2001 as a small café within the showroom of the family owned kitchen business. Since then there have been lots of changes and expansions to become the café bar & restaurant that it is today.

Continue

Est 2001

Many local people will remember that the premises were originally used as a British Gas Showroom displaying kitchen appliances.

The building itself was designed by the British architect and businessman John Poulson in 1954. Poulson was infamously the centre of a major corruption scandal in 1972 when it came to light that he used bribery of public figures to win building contracts. He was sentenced to 7 years in prison but continued to protest his innocence even after he was released, claiming that he was “a man more sinned against than sinning”. You can still see the plaque crediting Poulson’s design on the side of the Cucina building, next to the front entrance.

The family have had business interests in Morley for many years, running a confectionary shop on Queen Street opposite Scatcherd Park in the late 1950’s, a hair salon just a few doors away in the 1960’s and a DIY & fitted kitchen business from 1977 into the 21st century.

Being the Italian word for kitchen, “Cucina” was written on many of the packages imported from Italy for the kitchen business. The name Cucina was chosen for the café as it connected the two businesses that for a while traded from the same building. Eventually Cucina expanded to take over the whole of the premises and evolved to become the main core of the family business.

Contact